The hunting permit system for 2021 is now open. The season will run from May 1st to September 25th.
Jody Koro Walters
Conditions of Entry Permit
- No person shall enter the forest while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- No vehicles (including motorbikes, ATVs, and minivans) are to be used within the forest.
- The permit may be cancelled at any time by any AFL staff member. This can be done either verbally, by public notice or by advertisement.
- Smoking and lighting of fires is prohibited.
- Damage or removal of gates, fences, signs, ponds, equipment, buildings and/or trees is prohibited.
- Access is restricted to daylight hours on weekends and public holidays only.
- Any breaches of this policy will be viewed in a very serious light and may result in loss of entry/recreational access.
- Where a visitor is encountered on AFL land without a valid entry permit;
a. The person will be issued a Trespass Notice in conjunction with the NZ Police.
b. Other forestry companies in the Tairawhiti region will be notified of the Trespass Notice.
c. The AFL Trespass Notice is valid for two (2) years. In the event they are found on AFL land while a Trespass Notice is in force, they will be subject to prosecution under the Trespass Act 1980, Section 4 (1), (2) & (4).
In addition to this; if you are hunting:
- Each hunter’s name will be recorded on the permit. The person issued with the permit is to be present in the forest with those named on the entry permit.
- No children under 16 years are allowed.
- One member of the hunting party must carry a copy of the hunting permit and their designated hunting map with them when they are in the forest.
- A copy of the permit must be placed on the dashboard in the vehicle so that the name of the permit holder can be clearly seen.
- Each hunter’s firearm license must be sighted by AFL staff and license number entered on the permit.
- One permit will be issued per hunting party, one party per area. Do not assume you are the only people in the area.
- Hunting is restricted to daylight hours only.
- Hi-viz clothing must be worn at all times.
- IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT.
- If goats are encountered during the hunt they must be shot, unless they are in very close proximity to another target species and the shooting will result in the target species evading the hunters.
- If game birds are being targeted, then the relevant game bird license must be sighted and noted on the permit.
- Animal tally numbers must be returned to AFL.
- A maximum of four (4) dogs per permit applies.
Dose your Dogs for sheep measles
For those hunters that are using pig dogs for hunting and any other recreational permit holder that take dogs onto Aratu Forests Ltd estate must dose your dogs for sheep measles at least 48 hours or a month prior to going hunting. Tablets are available from a Veterinarian or rural supply store. When your hunting permit is collected from Aratu Forests Ltd office, you must provide evidence (Certificate of treatment of dogs for sheep measles to show that your dogs have been dosed -Taenia Ovis).